Watchmaker’s Cottage was built around 1840 of stone and brick under a slate roof. It was built to accommodate some of those serving Daffaluke House and at that time no great thought was given to accessibility! Thus some fundamental limitations remain despite its conversion to a very comfortable and charming holiday cottage.
The cottage is sadly not suitable for those needing downstairs bedrooms and bathrooms, since these are on the first floor. Also those in wheel chairs will find access difficult because of narrow doorways, steps and a staircase: the front door is approached by 2 steps (1.03m wide 0.13m tread depth) and inside leads immediately to 0.71m wide doorways off to the right to the lounge and to the left to the kitchen. Ahead lies a straight flight of 14 stairs (0.8m wide, 0.2m tread depth) with a handrail, leading to the first floor landing which gives access to the 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
To date guests using walking aids have found the stairs and hence the cottage access to be no significant problem given the handrail and we have been delighted to welcome them for return visits.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you are unsure of our accessibility and need further information.
Pre-arrival, arrival and car parking
There is parking for 2 cars off road in the courtyard immediately outside the cottage. The parking area is level cobbles and slabs.The nearest bus stop is 1 mile away at Peterstow with hourly services to Hereford (12 miles), Ross (4miles), and Gloucester(18 miles). There are railway stations at Hereford and Gloucester and a National Express coach stop in Ross.
There is a farm shop at Pengethley 2 miles away, and a Londis store/Post Office at Peterstow. Ross and Monmouth offer a wider range of shops.
Location and Surroundings
The cottage is situated in a very peaceful location within a 2 acre terraced garden of lawns, herbaceous borders, ornamental ponds and a rose garden together with fruit trees and a walled kitchen garden. It overlooks pasture land and fruit orchards so is particularly well suited to those seeking a relaxing location with patio and barbeque, quiet walks from the door round the local lanes and footpaths, yet easy access to the picturesque towns & villages as well as the glorious countryside. The Wye Valley & Forest of Dean are close by, and a bit further a field lie The Malvern Hills, Black Mountains, Cotswold Hills and the cathedral cities of Hereford, Gloucester and Worcester.
- Entrance Hall: front door 1.05 m wide, hall 1.3m x 1.5 m with staircase of 14 stairs, 0.8m wide x 0,2m tread depth.
- Kitchen/dining room: doorway 0.72m wide, room 4.7m x 2.4m comprising electric cooker, kitchen units with sink, cupboards, microwave, foodprocessor, toaster and kettle; together with dining table and 4 chairs.
- Lounge: doorway 0.72m wide, room 4.7m x 3.3m comprising sofa, 2 armchairs, bookshelf unit, nest of tables, and chest with digital television on and DVD player/recorder under.
- Landing: 3.5m wide
- 4 Poster double bedroom: doorway 0.72m wide, room 3.25m x 4.8m, 1.5m x 2m four poster bed, bedside tables, chair, chest of drawers and hanging wardrobe.
- Bathroom: doorway 0.7m wide, room 2.2m x 2.1m includes bath & shower over, toilet, washbasin and chair.
- Twin/double bedroom: doorway 0.72m wide, room 2.3m x 2.7m includes bed(s), bedside tables, chair, chest of drawers and hanging wardrobe. Doorway to:-
- En suite bathroom: doorway 0.72 m wide, room 2.2mx 2.4m includes bath with shower over, toilet, washbasin and chair